Looking for Handyman Services...
Starting a Handyman Business?
The handyman services below highlight the major or most popular areas of handyman repair. There are more services I could include, but I had to draw the line somewhere.
At the very least, I have your brain working on possibilities; once you get thinking, I'm sure you'll come up with all sorts of handyman services you could offer that suit your talents and desires.
Generally speaking though, to be a successful business person you should be willing to do just about anything you're asked to do - within reason of course.
If you are thinking of starting a handyman business, but aren't sure what services you should or can offer, the following services qualify as family handyman services:
- Basement, kitchen and bathroom renovations
- Bath tub, bathroom and shower caulking
- Bathroom and kitchen remodeling
- Bathroom leaks and water damage
- Carpentry, framing and cabinetry repair
- Ceiling, stucco and popcorn water damage repairs
- Custom Home Building
- Deck building and repair
- Deck cleaning and staining
- Door and Window replacement, repair, installation
- New door and window installation
- Drywall repairs
- Eaves-trough, (gutter) siding and soffit repair
- Eaves-trough cleaning
- Electrical installations and repairs
- Faucet, Taps repair and replacement
- Fence and post repair, replacement
- Flooring new and repairs
- Furniture repair, re-glue wooden pieces
- Garden design, construction, and maintenance
- Kitchen cabinets, door and drawer repair
- Kitchen Renovations
- Laundry tub removal and replacement
- Locks and door knob repair and replacement
- Painting, staining and color consultation
- Patio repair and cleaning
- Power washing decks, patios and driveways
- Plumbing repairs, drain cleaning
- Roof repair and cleaning
- Screen and window repair
- Toilet leaks, drips and replacement
- Top Soil Delivery and spreading
- Ceramic Tile Repair and Installation - floor, backsplash, bathtub, shower stalls
- Trim installation, baseboards, crown molding
- Water damage repair and restoration
- Weather stripping of doors and windows
- Window glass repair
Looking for a Reputable Handyman?
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) offers a good first check for companies you are thinking of doing business with. To become a BBB Accredited company, a business must pay a fee for the support and monitoring of how that company conducts business.
The BBB offers a search function on their site to find specific business names or types of business within an area. Make sure you read any disclaimers on the site - BBB does not endorse any business products, only reports on complaints, whether the company took steps to resolve the complaint, and the outcome.
What about handyman referral services?
Handyman Online (an affiliate of Service Magic.com) offers a brokering service where you provide details about your project, Service Magic staff analyze the details and selects the top four pre-screened contractors in your area, contacting them by email or cellphone to gauge interest and availability.
In Canada, there is a handyman/contractor referral service aimed at helping seniors: Renovation and Repair Referral and Advisory Service for Seniors and Others Who are Homeowners
Below is a quote from this document which summarizes the approach:
"The model would bring together a number of key players, including the local Chamber of Commerce, a community seniors center, building material suppliers, the local home builders association and other groups concerned about the welfare of local homeowners, and in particular, seniors who choose to age in place. Each would play an important role.
The Chamber of Commerce, for example, would be responsible for the local contractors that provide major renovation and repair services. Seniors and others who are homeowners wishing to renovate or repair their homes would contact the Chamber of Commerce for general advice and to obtain a list of their member renovation/repair contractors. The Chamber of Commerce would provide ongoing information about large renovation and repair contractors, establish and run an appropriate monitoring system and appoint a full-time person to assist potential clients, particularly during the start-up period."
Basically, your local Chamber of Commerce is another good starting point to find reputable handyman services contractors.
Other than word of mouth, these are probably the best sources of information to find good handyman contractors. Good luck!
These handyman services were helpful. Take me back to starting a business
Take me back home.